Vincent Mendoza Mural Restoration –
Report by David Vance
November 21, 2019
What has been done-
Most important was contacting experienced art people and supporters.
1) Carlos Tortolero – was a teacher in 77 to 83. Was present for the Vincent Mendoza murals displayed in the Annex building. Currently serves on the National Museum of Mexican Art in Pilsen. email@example.com
2) Fidel Marquez – a Bowen graduate. Until recently was serving as a ComEd Board member. Was a supporter of the Arts. Told me he would help with a donation. Unfortunately was removed from position, probably retired.
3) Esperanza Gama – experienced artist (recommended by Carlos and Rita Jirasek) came to view the mural. She gave advice on the mural restoration. She suggested the steps should start with dusty work. Cover the mural for protection then start the work.
a. Painting/patching walls and ceiling, removing old fixtures_________.00
b. Gallery lighting – estimates are – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – _________.00
c. Mural restoration – estimates are – – – – – – – – – – – – – – _________.00
What has not been done –
1. The meeting with Esperanza Gama – We never discussed the estimates for this work. But we did agree that all work needs to be done by qualified workgroups with a CPS vendor classification. She was going to apply for her vendor license. She is currently in Mexico working on a new project.
2. In the spring of 2019, I tried several times to set up a meeting with Carlos Tortolero and Ms. Horton but each time there were schedule conflicts.
3. Repeating; There is no total estimate for the work
4. No contact has been made with CPS Facilities to inform them that we need their support and approval before any work can be done.
5. The Vincent Mendoza mural has not been listed as public art in their records.